Turning 50 is a huge milestone. Everyone deals with aging differently, but being 50 is turning out to be a more awesome experience for some people than expected. They become more confident, especially in their views and opinions. They learn to embrace their quirkiness and really let their creativity flow. They stop sweating the small stuff and focus on what really matters. And last but not the least, they are able to recreate themselves, with a much clearer picture of how they want to spend their days.
Whilst there are many good things about turning 50 and older, it is also when you will start noticing some new physical changes to your body. Some changes may be quite unpleasant but creating better health habits plus having a brighter perspective can make them more bearable and even help you become more amazing and fit as you age.
If you’re not sure where to start, try these three ways to keep you strong and fit after 50.
- Get moving. Make sure to see a doctor before starting an exercise routine. As an older adult, regular physical activity is one of the most important things you can do for your health. Studies show that regular exercise can prevent or delay many age-related health problems like muscle loss, chronic diseases, mental health issues, and cognitive impairment. A complete fitness program includes aerobic exercise, strength training, and stretching. If circumstances make it hard for you to keep a regular workout, find other ways to be in motion. You can take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk briskly whenever you can or take your dog for walks every day.
- Get your mind in shape. The mind-body connection is real. Keep your brain stimulated by enjoying a daily puzzle or the crossword, playing mind-stretching games like bingo, bridge, chess, or computer games, or reading more. Learning a new skill or keeping an old one is also a good idea as it is said to help in managing feelings of depression. Additionally, make sure to get a good night’s sleep and stay socially active in order to keep your brain in shape and to help you cope with changes in your mental stability.
- Get your diet right. Following a nutritious diet is one of the best things you can do for your health as you age. It can help improve your mental sharpness, boost your energy levels, and increase your resistance to illness. To meet your nutritional needs, you must eat foods that are rich in fibre, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients, although it’s still best to talk to your doctor about your specific health needs. If you need help choosing or preparing a healthy diet, chat to a family member, carer, or an accredited practising dietician.
If meal planning and preparation is challenging for you, Gourmet Meals offers a great convenient solution. Our quick and easy, great tasting “gourmet meals” are recognised by health practitioners, dieticians, and nutritionists as a healthy meal option, especially for the elderly. They are snap-frozen to preserve all the nutrients and flavours naturally and are delivered straight to your doorstep!
Eating right has never been easier! Check out our menu and discover our tasty, nutritious and portion-controlled dishes that can increase your appetite and ensure you’re eating a balanced diet each and every day.
- Breaking the addiction to processed foods
- Improve your Mood Through Healthy Eating
- A preferred supplier for aged care providers
- Nutritious Meals For Older Australians
- We choose butter over margarine – and so should you