Weight gain is a common problem for most people during winter. From vitamin D deficiency to reduced body temperature, there are several potential factors that may contribute to this. While it’s deemed quite normal to gain winter weight, there are simple measures we can take to prevent this and get through winter in a healthy manner.
1. Plan your meals ahead of time. Planning out your meals in advance not only helps you manage your time better and makes meal preparation easier, but also allows you take control of your own personal nutrition needs. Knowing you have a meal ready for you in the fridge or freezer can avoid the temptation of impulse buys and junk food.
2. Eat a balanced diet. Consume a mix of nutrient-dense foods every day to control your body weight. Stack up on foods that help you pack in the most nutrition for a low number of calories, such as fruits and vegetables, along with whole grains, lean meats, nuts, and beans.
3. Eat proper portion sized meals. Practicing portion control means eating only what your body needs, instead of overeating. It reduces your calorie intake by making sure that the amount of food you eat for each meal is not too large.
4. Minimize snacking. Eating three balanced meals a day is the first step to eliminate snacking. Snacking or eating between meals may lead to an overconsumption of calories, especially when done too frequently and in large sizes. If it can’t be avoided, go for healthier snack options. i.e., foods that contain protein, fiber, and a bit of healthy fat.
5. Watch what you drink. Limit your consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages like carbonated soft drinks and energy drinks, as well as alcohol. They contain a high number of calories and sugar that promote weight gain. If you can’t do without coffee or tea, stick to unsweetened tea or black or flat white coffee, and drink them moderately.
6. Exercise. Include exercise in your daily routine to lose weight and burn calories. Remember: Combining exercise with a healthy diet is far more effective than either method alone.
7. Get adequate sleep. When you lack sleep, your body messes with your hormones. This leaves you feeling hungry and increases your appetite, which may ultimately lead to weight gain. Having regular physical activities and keeping a consistent bedtime schedule can dramatically improve the quality of your sleep.
Gourmet Meals promotes the importance of eating a well-balanced diet with our wide selection of healthy foods from each of the five food groups in the recommended amounts. Our meals are snap frozen in order to retain all their freshness, nutrients, and flavours. No longer do you need to worry about what to have for each mealtime— just take out your Gourmet Meal from the freezer, heat, and enjoy! We also keep our serving sizes in check to help you maintain a healthy body weight while reducing food waste at the same time.
With the convenience and affordability that it offers, Gourmet Meals is your best bet when looking for a partner in improving your health and losing weight.
We deliver straight to your door! Place your orders at www.gourmetmeals.com.au or phone 1300 112 112 for enquiries.
- Benefits of Frozen Meals
- The benefits of choosing frozen over fresh
- Smart food choices to reduce your carbon footprint
- Celebrating Seniors In The Community
- Low cost, low calories - but packed with flavour